So, you are going to be a dad. After the joy and excitement has somewhat subsided, you may find yourself nervous and feeling a little bit unprepared. After all, becoming a father is a life changing event and it’s unlike anything you will have done before. Luckily, there are some key ways to prepare for fatherhood.
Here’s How You Can Begin Preparing Yourself For Fatherhood
- Do Your Research – It is never too early to start doing some research about newborns, fatherhood and caring for a child. There are a tonne of books out there for expectant fathers, covering everything from the basics of feeding and changing to the emotional side of parenthood. Doing a bit of research is a fantastic way to feel involved, even though you are not the one physically carrying the child.
- Talk About Parenting With Your Partner – Have open and honest discussions with your partner about co-parenting, as you will need to be on the same page with how things are going to be done. Cover the key topics such as breastfeeding, where the baby will sleep, childcare and whether you both plan to work.
- Be a Team Player – There are no sides and keeping score when it comes to being a parent, so you need to start thinking of yourself as a team. If the other parent is feeling tired or overwhelmed, step in and take over for a while. Avoid tallying up who has changed more nappies, who has had more time to themselves or who has had the least sleep. It’s all about working together.
- Think About The Kind of Father You Want To Be – Before your child arrives, think about the kind of father you want to be. If you had a good relationship with your own father, you may want to model your approach on them. If you had a difficult relationship with your own father, you may have certain behaviours and approaches you want to avoid.
- Involve Yourself as Much as Possible – There is a lot that goes into planning for a baby, like choosing a name and attending antenatal appointments, and it’s a good idea to involve yourself as much as possible. This includes the major decisions, such as buying a cot and choosing a car seat, as well as smaller things such as choosing personalised baby blankets.
At My Personalised Baby, we understand the pressure and worry that comes with impending fatherhood. Though you are bound to be excited, it’s natural to feel anxious before your newborn enters the world. This is why we offer personalised baby gifts and personalised baby blankets, to help you focus on everything there is to look forward to about fatherhood.