Choosing a name for your baby is one of the hardest decisions to make, especially if you have a long list of potential names and no idea of how to narrow them down. To help you out, we have listed some of our top tips for picking the perfect baby name.
Things You Should Do When Choosing a Baby Name
- Avoid ‘Trendy’ Names – You may be tempted to name your child something that is very ‘on trend’ and modern, but these names do not always age well. It may be a trendy name now, but do you want to risk your child having the same name as multiple other people in their class. Plus, trendy names quickly become dated.
- Think About What The Initials Would Be – Though initials are arguably less important than the name itself, you should give some thought to what they will be. After all, you will surely want to avoid initials that spell out a rude or unpleasant word.
- Look Up Name Meanings – Before settling on a name for your newborn, do some research and find out it’s meaning. You may like the way a name sounds, but you may not be too keen on the meaning. Plus, knowing the meaning may help you decide between two different names.
- Think About Possible Nicknames – Whether you like nicknames or not, people will undoubtedly shorten your child’s name and use nicknames on occasion. This is why it’s important to think about possible nicknames and any you are not a fan of.
- Consider Family Names – If you are struggling to find a baby name that both you and your partner like, take a look at your family tree and consider family names. A lot of people choose a family name as a way to honour a specific relative or the family as a whole.
- Think About Possible Middle Names – Not everyone chooses to give their child a middle name. But, if you do, you should think about how a potential middle name would sound with the first name and surname. There should be a natural flow to the name; no one wants their name to be a tongue twister.
Once you have chosen the perfect baby name, it’s time to start thinking about personalised baby gifts. At My Personalised Baby, we have a wide range of fantastic personalised baby gifts for you to choose from. From personalised baby blankets to personalised baby comforters, you won’t find yourself short of choice. To find out more, get in touch with the My Personalised Baby team. We are always happy to help.